Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sage Advice from the SCBWI Conference

I just spent a wonderful weekend at the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators Conference in New York City. The lectures were incredibly educational, professional and fun. Even better, my attendance has provided me with several opportunities un-available otherwise. The best part of the conference was the advice and inspiration from the amazing speakers. Here is some of the sage advice I heard:
  • "There is always something else to strive for. The only endgame is the love of the work." Sara Zarr
  • "We need to stop half the things we are doing and do the other half well." Sara Zarr
  • "The fundamental difference between kids and adults is that kids are shorter." Mo Willems
  • "Don't believe in yourself....believe in the work." Linda Sue Park
  • "Make one sentence worth reading 62 times" (The number of times a young fan had read one of her books.) Linda Sue Park
  • For illustrators: "Advertise with the work you want to get." Dan Yaccarino
  • "Use your Blog to showcase your work." Chad Beckerman
With that, I think I'll post another blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment